Monday 27 January 2014

Light Casts No Shadows, part 13

   'In my youth, I was a good man,' I began. 'But I spent money too free, and enjoyed wagers too much. I was happy married and very much in love. My career as an officer was promising-'
   'What does this have to do with me!' she protested.
   'Allow me to continue... My fate changed dramatically during the war against Napoleon. In Spain I was taken prisioner for several months. My platoon had be wipped out, and I was presumed dead. At the time I owed a great deal of money, most of it to Thornton. In my absence he seized all of my land and property to cover my debt.'
   'My husband?'
   'Aye. He also tied to seduce my wife. I have been informed that my wife never believed that I was dead. She loved me still, and despiced Thornton.... It was not enough for him to take a man's property, he wanted my love also. when she refused, he murdered her. That was the sort of man he was. Nothing could be proved in court. As you know, Thorton was a powerful man with some influence. I knew nothing of this untill long after I had escaped from that hell of a jail. There was nothing I could do about it untill after the war. As soon as I returned to England, Jacques and I swore revenge. we would take everything from Thornton. That is why to are my prisioner. Revenge... Perhaps justice.'
   Then I noticed that the lady was crying, I did not know why... Her hopelessness or mine? 
   'I shall get some more food for us,' said I, and walked away.

   Jauques was sat on the stairs. A candle beside him, and his sword across his lap.
   'Where are you going?'he asked, a sly smile across his face.
   'Upsairs, to get food.'
   'You don't need food, there is plently of wine down in the cellar.'
   'Today I do not care for wine, I require food for the lady and I.'
   'You ought to stay down in the cellar where you belong.'
   'Out of my way,' I growled.
   'I shall not let you pass.'
   He stood and held his sword on guard.
   I drew my sword and adopted a fighting stance.
   He lunged at me, but I dodged his blade. I aimed for his exposed right led as he was off guard, but missed. He stepped to one side and I advanced.
   We swung for each other at the same moment. our swords locked in the air- then my sword passed through his, and clean through his body.
   My sword passed through him like a bird flying through mist.
   He laughed at me.

   There are times in the lives of men when we live like beasts, compelled ever forward by our base desired and instincts. There are times when we live like madmen, and our reason abandons us- we dance in the dark like lunatics. There are times when we live without the light of reason...
   And there are times when we regain that guilding light.
   
   I walked directly through Jacques, like he was no more than fog.
   A fog in my mind.
   'You shall never be rid of me,' he called out from behind me.


   

No comments:

Post a Comment