Friday 10 January 2014

Light Casts No Shadows, part 11

   It was, I believe, soon after that conversation that I had the idiot idea of counting my money. I was probably drunk, for the wine cellar was a constant temptation.
   There was, I recall, a great deal of it, Jacques interupted me before I finished counting it.
   'Enough gold for you?' he asked.
   'More than he took from me... But the important thing is that 'tis all his gold. All that he had, because he took all from me.'
   'So you keep saying. But what of his wife?'
   "My prisioner?'
   'He took your wife from you, but you have not yet taken his wife... fully. You must take her to bed or kill her, it is the only way to complete our revenge.'
   Damn me, because for a moment I was tempted. I thought of her alone in the vaults, her beautiful eyes shinning in the darkness. I remembered holding he as I carried her away from her slaine husband. The softness of her skin, her hair brushing my face. She was pretty, and she was mine...
   I have done many bad things in my life. In the service of my country, I killed many men and wounded many more. At times I took satisfaction from the killing. Then I was a Highwayman- a thief. Then a murderer. There were few sins that were new to me.
   But I am not a monster.
   'Damn you!' I shouted at him. 'Out of my sight, French brute! I'm going to get more wine...'
   Then I knew: sooner or later, I must kill Jaques.

No comments:

Post a Comment