Sunday 26 January 2014

Light Casts No Shadows, part 12

    The new day I was restless.
   My gold hoarde no longer pleased me, and all the wine tasted sour.
   I roamed from cell to cell, lost in thought. Morbid curiousity drove me towards the oldest and most horrid part of the cellars, but when ever I came close to the final door I retreated.
   I remembered my lost Annebell. It had been 30 years since we had married, and 4 since she had died. 26 years which had gone so fast, and 4 which had been so terrably long.
   I remembered the first time that we had meet, 32 years ago. I was hunting with my dogs and squire and she was walking with her sisters. It was spring, and the forest was filled with wind flowers. She looked so at home in the forest, like some Wood Nymphe or elven lady.
   I remembered the way her eyes used to shine, like two tiny stars.
   For a moment I thought I saw her before me. A vision or some fit of madness. But it was no Annabell, it was my prisioner.
   She was clearly startled. She almost jumped, then retreated to a corner.
   'Don't be afraid,'said I. 'I will not hurt you.'
   'How can you say that when you have hurt me so much already?'
   It was a fair question.
   She grew more confident when she saw that I made no advance or sign of agression.
   'I demand an explanation for your cruel mistreatment,' she said.
   'Then you shall have one...'

No comments:

Post a Comment