Saturday 29 June 2019

The Spectators on The Shining Path, part 3.


   I woke up in agony and could not feel my right hand. When I could open my eyes, I saw the wounded girl looking down on me. I looked up at her icy blue eyes and saw pity.
   'You'll live,' she said,' the healer has worked strong magic.'
   'It's called medicine,' I grunted, then remembered myself. 'How are you, lady? I did not expect to see you again.'
   'I was curious, if you would live or die.'
   'I see...'
   'I too was once a Knight of the Shining Path.'
   'There are not many of us left.'
   'Proably because of their ridiculous policy of forbiding shields.'
   'Maybe... Please pass some water.'
   I struggled to sit up, then drank. Only then did I inspect my right hand. Despite the heavy, bloodstained bandages, it was clear that I had lost three fingers. Only the thumb and index finger remained. 
   'Let's get out of here,' I said,' it reeks of blood.'
   She helped me back to camp and cooked us some soup. After that, I drank the last of my wine and slept.

   It was midafternoon when I woke again. My body was in severe pain, including phanton pain in my missing fingers- which seemed unfair. Again, she was stood over me.  
   'I've got some magic pebbles to help with the pain,' she said.
   I inspected the tablets.
   'They are called "more-fean"' I said, then added,' thank you. I don't even know your name, why are you helping me?'
   'My name is Molly... I'm helping you because when my leg was smashed there was no one to help me, and it was shit.'

   The next day, I went to the tourney market and bought a pair of metal gauntlets. They served to both hide and reduce my injury.
   We live in a brutal age, and must hide all weakness.

   When the tourney was over, we were on the road again. It was logical to travel together, and I had offered Sir Molly a job as guard and enforcer in my holding. I would need another pair of hands, and knew that my men would respect her experience. 
     

No comments:

Post a Comment