Saturday 22 June 2019

The Spectators on the Shining Path. PART 2.


   

 
I woke at dawn and doned what passes as armour these days- a steel breast plate, helmet and leather glooves. I ate a few sausages for breakfast, then sharpened my axes. Not that they needed the maintanance, but it was a ritual I favoured.
   At midday, I was to fight in the melee.

   "Ladies and gentlemen, in the red corner stand Sir Karl, Knight of the chalace. In the green corner, Dan of Suffolk. In the blue corner, Sir Mary, knight of the Golden Light. In the white corner, Grace the Tall. In the silver corner, The Namesless Knight of the Shining Path."

   That was I, a Knight of The Shining Path, stood in a corner of the Melee Pentagon... waiting for the crowd to stop cheering so we could start butchering each other.

   The problem with the melee is that someone is always going to be outnumbered at the begining. Maybe 2-3 or 2-1, but it's always going to happen. 
   Which was exactly what happened to me when Sir Mary and Grace the Tall decided that I was an easy target. Sir Mary came at me with round shield and sword, and Grace with her massive spear.
   I'm still not comfortable with the idea of fighting ladies... but maybe that is just an excuse for how easily they thrashed me. Grace maimed my hand as I lashed out at her spear, and Sir Mary side stepped round my guard and knocked me out cold.


No comments:

Post a Comment