Monday 30 July 2018

THE SILVER ELEPHANT

(Here follows the beginning of my latest short story..)

My earliest memory is of a duck pond and a toy sailing ship. I have always loved sailing and the sea. I watched that small ship dancing on the sparkling water.

Then came the mighty roar of a gun, and that ship flew apart into scraps of wood and paper. My uncle came and sat beside me, smoking pistol in hand.
“You got him, Uncle,” I said.
“Only half lad, his vessel, but not his life,” said he.
However, the most distinct memory of my childhood was The Adventure of The Silver Elephant. This was the first time in my eventful youth that I realised that my my uncle, his crew and our enemies- the Ninjas- were not like most people.
It began, many years ago when Uncle Bloodbeard (yes, that was his real name) took me ‘Out East’. That mysterious part of the world, which he called ‘Out East’, was very hot and very dangerous.
The year was 2013. My uncle and his crew were disappointed that the world had not ended in 2012, and needed a seriously good adventure to cheer them up.
“We’re going Out East, lad,’ Uncle Bloodbeard said.
‘Alright Uncle,’ said I.
In those days, I did as I was told.
‘We’re going to find the Silver Elephant,’ he continued.
‘What’s that?’
‘The greatest treasure on Earth.’
Who could say no to that? We jumped on his ship and set sail.

We could, I guess, have flown on a plane, but my uncle does not live that way. So we sailed. It took several months.

No comments:

Post a Comment