Tuesday 8 July 2014

THERE IS NOTHING OUTSIDE THE FOREST, part 6


   For three more days were walked. Each day the river grew wider, and we left its banks only to hunt.
   ‘We will never get to the end of the world at this speed,’ he said, on the afternoon of the third day.
   He called to his bull and patted its side, and it began to trot. I had to run to keep up. It was not easy. We, The People, are made to walk and climb. We can run fast or far if we need to, but we do not like it. I did not want to be left behind, or to show weakness, so I ran, even when my legs and breath were fire.
   When he stopped at sunset I jumped into the river to drink and be cold.
   ‘Tired?’ he asked.
   ‘No, just hot and thirsty.’
   ‘Good. Try to catch some fish when you are in there. I am going to look for duck.’
   He jumped off the bull and walked up down river. The bull came down to the river bank next to me and drank. I looked into its huge, black eyes. It ignored me. It was three times my height, and maybe ten times my weight. I felt I was nothing to it, not even food.
   When it stopped drinking it looked at me, and took a step closer. Its head was in reach of me, and I could feel its hot breath on my face. I must admit that I was afraid. We cannot trust a bull aurox, the bull aurox fight for fun, like the Stag Deer and the Orc. It moved slowly closer. I stood still as it opened its mouth, a mouth big enough to eat my head in one bite. Then it licked my face with its huge, rough, wet tongue. Then it nuzzled me gently, its head again my body, carefully keeping it horns away.
   I had seen aurox do this in their herds, and I knew the bull was my brother then.
   I don’t like eating fish, and I was too tired to hunt, so I sat on the bank of the river with my feet in the water. The aurox lay down beside me.

   The next day I wanted to ride the aurox, so after Tomm had climbed on its neck, I climbed up it side. I held its long hair and pulled my way up, like climbing vines, untill I was sat on its shoulder with my legs over the side.
   Tomm turned and looked at me. He smiled a thin smile.
   ‘Hold on,’ he said, then patted his bull on the head and called for it to trot.
   I had to grab the bulls hair in both hand to stay on it. Its shoulder moved up and down as it trotted. It was dificult to balance, and soon bacame painful. It was impossible to continue that way, so I was forced to move. I swung myself forward and sat beside Tomm on the neck, my legs around his legs and my hands holding the bull’s hair.
   He said nothing.
   At midday we saw a boar and gave chase. I wanted to throw my knives, but I needed both hands to hold on as the bull charged. Tomm did not need to hold on, but he did not throw a knife. We gaining on the boar, but I did not know how we were to kill it.
   Then I saw.
   The bull came behind the boar, lowered its head, and butted it. The boar flew like a leaf in the wind. The bull slowed and trotted to where the boar lay. The boar was dying, it rolled in the leaves and roared terrably.
   I jumped from the bull, and finished the boar with my axe.
   It had been a mighty boar. I had hunted boar in the past; it took ten people a day to kill one, and some times the boar killed one of us. The boar are strong brothers and we respect them. I did not like to see the boar die to easily, but we needed to eat.
   I cut off its huge head and held it high.
   ‘You were a might boar,’ I told it. ‘Have better luck in your next body, and try to keep away from bulls.
   Our bull grazed on leaves, grass and plants as we butchered and ate the boar.
   After eating and resting, we climbed on the bull again, and it walked on. Not towards to river, but deeper into the forest.
   ‘The wrong way.’ I said.
   ‘No. The right way to The Shaman.’
   ‘What is a Shaman?’
   ‘You will see. If we are going to the end of the world, we need to talk to The Shaman.’
   ‘Why do you call it the end of the world? We are looking for outside the forest.’
   ‘The forest is the world.’

   I heard distant drums. 


No comments:

Post a Comment