Saturday 9 November 2013

Light Casts No Shadows, part 3

As the last glow of twilight fadded, I prepared to retire to my cave, for it was inconvienient to hunt in darkness. Then I was the twin lanterns of a coache approaching. I mounted hastily and rode towards it. I took my reins in my left hand and drew my sword with my right, then charged at the coache. Teeth barred, I roared at the driver to stop.
With a great snorting and stomping of horses, he complied. The four gret mares who led the coache were clearly flustered at the sudden halt. The driver, however, was not.
‘And what can I be doing for you?’ he asked.
I ignored the fellow for a moment, and rode around the coache, and checked for a gunman hidden on the roof and passengers within. There were none.
‘Whose coache is this?’ I demanded.
The driver was a stout fellow in a weather beaten Great Coat. His face was expressionless, resigned.
‘’Tis Mr Thorton’s,’ said he.
The name rang a bell, and woke a rage in me that I did not full understand.
‘Take me to your Lord!’ I demanded, sword to the fellows throat.
‘That I cannot do, for my only Lord is in ‘Eaven,’ he said with a dry smile, ‘but if you want, I could take you to Thornton Manor to meet ‘is Lordship.’
‘Aye, do it.’
I was impressed. I put my sword to its scabard, and swung myself from my horse to the driver’s bench.

We set of at a reasonable speed. My loyal horse trotted along side.

No comments:

Post a Comment